A DBS check is one of the most mandatory checks that are carried out by the government to find out your background record, and whether you have any criminal records in the past. So what information shows up while doing this kind of a check?
What will show up on a DPBS check?
What will show up on a DBS check depends on what kind of a check is actually carried out. Sometimes DBS checks are extensive and it depends on whether the convictions or cautions are well protected. Any kind of past convictions and background records appear on a DBS check and based on these records, a person is employed with a certain company. There are various protected convictions and cautions as well that are usually filtered and they do not appear on a DBS check. There is however some list of offences that are not filtered from a DBS certificate. Some of these convictions will always show up on the DBS certificate. The most common ones comprise of
- Certain sexual offences
- Offences of violence like robbery, GBH
- Offences relating to the supply of drugs
All offences are usually based on a number of factors.
This includes information related to the mental health. So how long does a DBS last? It depends on the intensity of the check
If the offence is on the list of offences that are not likely to be filtered, the following cautions are usually filtered and will appear on the DBS certificate
- Cautions that you received when you were under 18 years and two years have passed since the date of the caution
- Cautions received when you were 18 or older and six years have passed since the date of the caution.
Conviction mandatorily includes absolute and conditional discharges
- If the conviction is for an offence is on the list of offences that will not be filtered then it will definitely appear on your DBS certificate,
- If you have received a conviction that resulted in a custodial sentence, it will appear on your DBS certificate.
- A conviction that resulted in a custodial sentence will also appear in your certificate
- If you have been convicted for more than one offence your convictions would appear in the certificate
What will show up in different kinds of DBS CHECK?
Standard DBS checks- All the intricate details of spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands, as well as final warnings that are held on central police records
Enhanced DBS check- Same as standard check along with additional information, which are held on the local police records, that is relevant to the job applied for
Enhanced DBS with the list check- The same as an Enhanced DBS, but it will also include a check of the Disclosure and Barring Service children and adults barred list. This level of check will be needed for jobs that involve caring for or supervising. The company you would be working for would tell you if a DBS check is required for your job and what level of check will be required.
Does a DBS check incorporate information about the mental health problem?
A standard DBS check does not include information about mental health problem but an enhanced DBS check includes the details about non-conviction information held about you on local police records which is actually relevant. This is known as approved information